Global Streetwear Fashion | Music | Lifestyle Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Global Streetwear Fashion | Music | Lifestyle Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is The Internet Hurting The Music Business

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

musicunlimited

musicunlimited
Clever Go Getter
Clever Go Getter

I'm the CEO of a small independent record company so of course today's topic is heart beat of my business. As small label owner the Internet is the backbone of my marketing strategy and the best way to promote my artists for the best money. But, I don't know if it helps or hurts the industry as a whole.

In the past the major labels (Sony, Universal, Warner, etc...) had such a strangle hold on the music industry that if you didn't have a record deal with them you didn't exist, period. This was because advertising was so expensive that only the big companies could afford to do it. That shut the door on the hopes of any small business hoping to grow.

Along came the Internet. A phenomenon that instantly leveled the playing field for all record companies both big and small. The Internet is so inexpensive that a one person label can advertise their projects right next to the big boys and no one knows the difference. This angered the majors but makes the indies happier than ever.

But, there's the case and problem of piracy. Everyone is stealing music off of the Internet because they can, simply put. If there was no way to steal it they would just pay for it without any complaint like before. This of course hurts the industry as a whole because it raises the prices of upcoming albums, there's legal ramifications and the music quality is watered down because artists and labels know that their music is going to be stolen before it is sold so the energy, excitement and desire to create a good album is non existent.

http://www.musicunlimitedrecords.com

GiveMeAndy

GiveMeAndy
The Wise Mind
The Wise Mind

The internet is a double edged sword for sure, but to be frank I've seen more garbage come out of it than good.

From the retarded (Jerkin' trends) to the straight up retarded (Soulja Boy), none of them would've made it anywhere without the internet as their platform.

http://GiveMeAndy.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum